What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
Nowadays, it looks theluck of Somali people and state is changing for good and finally the light atend of the tunnel is getting brighter and nearer and many both in Diaspora andin the country feel uneasy because the end of TFG may not bring continuity thenewly achieved gains of the past year.
Many Somaliintellectuals are happy to see transitional period is over but yet worriedthings may turn back without the right leadership.
On 31st of July, members of Constituency Assembly approved the new provisionalconstitution of Somalia. This was a process that started seven years agoand for all practical purposes were not going anywhere until a year ago, when anew Prime Minister came on board with a cabinet of mainly professional s who hecalled them back from their comfort lives over the world.
The Prime Minister, Dr. Abdiwali M. Ali, himself, a professor of economics fromBuffalo, NY took over a shambled government, at a time where al-Shabab wereoccupying two-third of Mogadishu, hundreds of Somalis were dying dailybecause of worst draught for long time. Regional administration weren’t talkingto TFG and overall morale was descending fast.
Many doubt that a professor from New York can change the course and saw himanother PM for long list of trial and error exercise. Today, to the credit ofTFG forces and AMISOM but equally to his leadership, Mogadishu is free andal-Shabab is on the run. He established an independent Disaster Management Agencyto deal with the draught emergency relief work. His understanding inproblem solving and the art of diplomacy led international community to pourhelp for Somali people to counter the draught. Within 90 days things turned toget better.
However, what separates him from other leaders in the past 20 years or so isnot only the handling the draught problem or kicking al-Shabab out of Mogadishubut coming up with a Roadmap with a time line to tackle four major tasks: 1-Security: with a National Stabilization and Security Plan that deals fromsecuring the country, strengthening the Somali forces and preparingadministration for newly liberated towns.
2-Good Governance: re-establishing and strengthening national institution, healso established an independent anti-corruption commission. As an academic heput emphases on education with a result of 3000 students taking abroad forhigher education.
3- Reconciliation: First time in 20 years that regional administrations arecooperating with and working side by side with central government, these werenot the case 18 months ago. 135 Somali Traditional Clan elders from all overthe country are working together in Mogadishu and have chosen 825 ConstituencyAssembly that just approve d the provisional constitution and will in fewdays select members of parliament. This exercise is a historic one becauseafter two decades, the new Somali Government will lose the Transitional statusin its name.
4- The constitution was a major component of the Roadmap and recent approval ofthe constitution is the most important achievement so far for this government.
you have good ideas, but unfortunatelly your English is so poor. Please write in Somali, but if cannot write Somali either, ask friends and families to correct your articel before you submit to any web site.
Finally, the Professor PM you mentioned and you will benefit from ESL classes, maybe two-three years.
News in English
- The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia H.E Hassan .Sh. Mohamud Thanks the outgoing Prime Minister and praises the Parliament for upholding the constitution
- Cabinet endorses plans to reopen Somali National University
- Prime Minister opens first National Health Conference encouraging Somali health professionals to “help transform Somalia’s health service”
- AU Special Representative welcomes the successful conclusion of the Jubba Regions Reconciliation Conference
- PM appeals for urgent assistance for those affected by devastating floods in Middle Shabelle region
- Prime Minister calls on Jubba to be “the symbol of federal success in Somalia”
- Uganda Arrests Somalia Peacekeepers Over Theft
- Pentagon Says Shabab Bomb Specialist Is Killed in Missile Strike in Somalia
- Somalia's New Deal establishes Strategic Oversight and Guidance Joint Committee
- Prime Minister launches Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility- “the first step towards the realization of the New Deal dream for the people of Somalia”
- President welcomes Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Minister and leading Dutch businesses
- AMISOM ends a three-day Civil- Military Coordination conference
- Compact partnership endorsed for the Brussels Conference on Somalia
- President calls on international partners to support the New Deal Compact
- Somali Government concern on remittance closing and pirate situation
- The African Union concludes a two-week long workshop on International Humanitarian Law for the Somalia National Army
- Prime Minister declared August 27 as the National Day of Human Rights
- Somali Government welcomes the report of the Human Rights Task Force
- AMISOM opens training on improving understanding and compliance with International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and Human Rights (HR) for the Somali National Army Officers.
- Two-day consultative meeting on New Deal kicks off in Galkayo
- Come Let Us Rob And Rape Together (The Strategy)
- Somalia’s government executes Islamic extremist rebel convicted of killing a journalist (WP)
- Amison Pressrelease: AMISOM will work closely with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to investigate allegation of rape against its soldiers in Maslah
- Somali Federal Government response to MSF Ceasing Operations in Somalia
- Somali Government response to the alleged rape in Maslah, Mogadishu
Opinion - Fikrado
- Iskumilanka Madaxtooyada iyo Baarlamaanka waa Lug iyo Luqun Isi Suran
- Faallo: Nina Hooskiisa Ma Harsado
- Faalo: Wajigabaxii Labaad Ee Dawladu Kala Kulantay Kismaayo Raaskaamboodiyeenteeda! (2)
- Somaliyeey, furrsad weyn ayaa jirto maanta by Ahmed-haadi Muhumad
- Madaxweyne Sh Shariif ma la tabay mise anaa mooday by Farah Warsame
- Hantidii Ummada Laheed Goormaa loo Celin? by Faysal Ahmed
- Somaliarising after two decades of civil war and unrest by Muddassar Ahmed
- What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
- Adeegsiga Af Qalaad Qiil ma loo Hayaa? by M Aden
- Ninba Dahab Lumay Si u Doondoon-by Kaafi Farey