Turkey sends 27 tons of humanitarian aid to Somalia
Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) sent 27 tons of humanitarian assistance to Somalia Dec. 24, via a cargo plane provided by Turkish Airlines.
The aid was collected through coordination by the Health Ministry, the Turkish International Cooperation and Development Agency Presidency, the General Directorate of the State Waterworks Authority and the Yardımeli Association, AFAD said in a statement, without elaborating on the content of the aid.
Two armored vehicles provided by the Prime Ministry and the Foreign Ministry, to be used at the Turkish Embassy in Mogadishu, were also sent.
AFAD noted that as part of humanitarian assistance for Somalia, so far 30,000 tons of material aid has been sent.
Somalia has been mired in violence, Islamist militancy and grinding poverty since warlords toppled military dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991, leaving the country with no effective central government for two decades. Security has improved in the last 19 months with al-Qaeda-linked militants losing more territory under pressure from African Union and Somali forces.
The four-year insurgency waged by al-Shabaab left Mogadishu in ruins, and the country is looking to foreign donors to help rebuild its ravaged economy after decades of conflict. Turkey has taken a leading role in the redevelopment of Mogadishu, as it seeks to boost its profile in Africa and promote itself as a model Muslim democracy.
News in English
- The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia H.E Hassan .Sh. Mohamud Thanks the outgoing Prime Minister and praises the Parliament for upholding the constitution
- Cabinet endorses plans to reopen Somali National University
- Prime Minister opens first National Health Conference encouraging Somali health professionals to “help transform Somalia’s health service”
- AU Special Representative welcomes the successful conclusion of the Jubba Regions Reconciliation Conference
- PM appeals for urgent assistance for those affected by devastating floods in Middle Shabelle region
- Prime Minister calls on Jubba to be “the symbol of federal success in Somalia”
- Uganda Arrests Somalia Peacekeepers Over Theft
- Pentagon Says Shabab Bomb Specialist Is Killed in Missile Strike in Somalia
- Somalia's New Deal establishes Strategic Oversight and Guidance Joint Committee
- Prime Minister launches Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility- “the first step towards the realization of the New Deal dream for the people of Somalia”
- President welcomes Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Minister and leading Dutch businesses
- AMISOM ends a three-day Civil- Military Coordination conference
- Compact partnership endorsed for the Brussels Conference on Somalia
- President calls on international partners to support the New Deal Compact
- Somali Government concern on remittance closing and pirate situation
- The African Union concludes a two-week long workshop on International Humanitarian Law for the Somalia National Army
- Prime Minister declared August 27 as the National Day of Human Rights
- Somali Government welcomes the report of the Human Rights Task Force
- AMISOM opens training on improving understanding and compliance with International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and Human Rights (HR) for the Somali National Army Officers.
- Two-day consultative meeting on New Deal kicks off in Galkayo
- Come Let Us Rob And Rape Together (The Strategy)
- Somalia’s government executes Islamic extremist rebel convicted of killing a journalist (WP)
- Amison Pressrelease: AMISOM will work closely with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to investigate allegation of rape against its soldiers in Maslah
- Somali Federal Government response to MSF Ceasing Operations in Somalia
- Somali Government response to the alleged rape in Maslah, Mogadishu
Opinion - Fikrado
- Iskumilanka Madaxtooyada iyo Baarlamaanka waa Lug iyo Luqun Isi Suran
- Faallo: Nina Hooskiisa Ma Harsado
- Faalo: Wajigabaxii Labaad Ee Dawladu Kala Kulantay Kismaayo Raaskaamboodiyeenteeda! (2)
- Somaliyeey, furrsad weyn ayaa jirto maanta by Ahmed-haadi Muhumad
- Madaxweyne Sh Shariif ma la tabay mise anaa mooday by Farah Warsame
- Hantidii Ummada Laheed Goormaa loo Celin? by Faysal Ahmed
- Somaliarising after two decades of civil war and unrest by Muddassar Ahmed
- What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
- Adeegsiga Af Qalaad Qiil ma loo Hayaa? by M Aden
- Ninba Dahab Lumay Si u Doondoon-by Kaafi Farey