Police boosting security situation in Somalia at it's 69th anniversary
The Somali Police Force on Thursday celebrated its 69th anniversary since its establishment in 1943 the year it was officially established and recognized as the national police Force.
This year’s event took place at the General Kaahiye Police Training Academy in Mogadishu that has been enjoying relative peace and stability following an improvement in the security conditions. The well decorated officers presented a very beautiful march in front of visitors with the security forces expressing hope that the force will take over the security of the capital soon.
Addressing the officers, Somali police Commissioner said that the Police Force has struggled despite many challenge and at the same time encouraged them to double their efforts for the restoration of a long lasting security to the war ravaged nation.
The African Union alongside other countries is training officers with the intent of filling a crucial gap after many years of armed conflict. It also hopes that the training will improve the skills of the Somali Police so that they can be professionals.
The Police Force is today commemorating its 69th anniversary here in Mogadishu that is among the dangerous cities in the world where security still remains the biggest challenge.
Lately, police have carried out massive security operations across the sixteen districts of Mogadishu arresting hundreds of people and confiscating weapons, assault rifles, hand grenades and improvised explosive devices. On his part, the interior and national security minister promised that the new government is ready with a four year plan to increase the necessary parts of the police force.
Female police officers have also joined the police with a desire to maintain law and order. Women officers have been seen on the Mogadishu streets manning the traffic and also participating in security crackdown.
As a part of boosting the security situation in Somalia, the African Union also sent police from several East and West African countries to train the Somali officers who will be under tasked with maintaining the country’s security after the exit of the African Union forces.
News in English
- Countries continue to restore diplomatic relations with Somalia
- The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia H.E Hassan .Sh. Mohamud Thanks the outgoing Prime Minister and praises the Parliament for upholding the constitution
- Cabinet endorses plans to reopen Somali National University
- Prime Minister opens first National Health Conference encouraging Somali health professionals to “help transform Somalia’s health service”
- AU Special Representative welcomes the successful conclusion of the Jubba Regions Reconciliation Conference
- PM appeals for urgent assistance for those affected by devastating floods in Middle Shabelle region
- Prime Minister calls on Jubba to be “the symbol of federal success in Somalia”
- Uganda Arrests Somalia Peacekeepers Over Theft
- Pentagon Says Shabab Bomb Specialist Is Killed in Missile Strike in Somalia
- Somalia's New Deal establishes Strategic Oversight and Guidance Joint Committee
- Prime Minister launches Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility- “the first step towards the realization of the New Deal dream for the people of Somalia”
- President welcomes Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Minister and leading Dutch businesses
- AMISOM ends a three-day Civil- Military Coordination conference
- Compact partnership endorsed for the Brussels Conference on Somalia
- President calls on international partners to support the New Deal Compact
- Somali Government concern on remittance closing and pirate situation
- The African Union concludes a two-week long workshop on International Humanitarian Law for the Somalia National Army
- Prime Minister declared August 27 as the National Day of Human Rights
- Somali Government welcomes the report of the Human Rights Task Force
- AMISOM opens training on improving understanding and compliance with International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and Human Rights (HR) for the Somali National Army Officers.
- Two-day consultative meeting on New Deal kicks off in Galkayo
- Come Let Us Rob And Rape Together (The Strategy)
- Somalia’s government executes Islamic extremist rebel convicted of killing a journalist (WP)
- Amison Pressrelease: AMISOM will work closely with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to investigate allegation of rape against its soldiers in Maslah
- Somali Federal Government response to MSF Ceasing Operations in Somalia
Opinion - Fikrado
- Iskumilanka Madaxtooyada iyo Baarlamaanka waa Lug iyo Luqun Isi Suran
- Faallo: Nina Hooskiisa Ma Harsado
- Faalo: Wajigabaxii Labaad Ee Dawladu Kala Kulantay Kismaayo Raaskaamboodiyeenteeda! (2)
- Somaliyeey, furrsad weyn ayaa jirto maanta by Ahmed-haadi Muhumad
- Madaxweyne Sh Shariif ma la tabay mise anaa mooday by Farah Warsame
- Hantidii Ummada Laheed Goormaa loo Celin? by Faysal Ahmed
- Somaliarising after two decades of civil war and unrest by Muddassar Ahmed
- What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
- Adeegsiga Af Qalaad Qiil ma loo Hayaa? by M Aden
- Ninba Dahab Lumay Si u Doondoon-by Kaafi Farey