Somali presidential candidates give speeches in front of parliament
The Somali parliament held a special session on Friday (September 7th) to listen to the speeches of the country's presidential candidates.
Twenty-five qualified candidates will compete in the elections, all of whom have met the criteria set by the Electoral Commission.
The 25 presidential candidates are: Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow, Abdiwaahid Elmi Goonjeh, Abdullahi Ahmed Addow, Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo, Ahmed Ismail Samatar, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Sheikh
Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, Yusuf Garaad Omar, Omar Salaad Elmi, Abdirahman Mohamed Abdi Hashi, Bashir Nur Hassan, Haji Mohamed Ismail Yasin, Abdulqadir Osoble Ali, Abdirahman Abdishakur Warsame, Hussein Khalif Jama, Mohamed Ahmed Salah, Salad Ali Jeele, Ibrahim Ali Hussein, Said Ise Mohamud, Osman Mohamed Gaal, Mohamed Abdullahi Omar, Mohamed Abdiweli Sheikh Yusuf, Maslah Mohamed Siad Barre, Zakariye Mohamud Haji Abdi.
Osman Libah Ibrahim, spokesman for the commission, told Sabahi that 10 of the candidates delivered campaign speeches in front of parliament. He said security, fighting corruption and sound governance dominated the candidates' speeches.
The remaining 15 candidates will give their speeches on Saturday, he said, adding that Sunday will be a quiet day in preparation for the elections.
The presidential elections are scheduled to take place on September 10th.
Meanwhile, Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Sheikh Osman Jawari vowed that the upcoming presidential elections will be free and fair, UN-funded Radio Bar-Kulan reported Friday (September 7th).
Jawari said that parliament has been busy preparing for the historic elections, and called on members of parliament to serve their country without accepting favours.
News in English
- President Hassan: Al Shabaab are a disgrace to Somalia and will not derail our emerging peace.
- Prime Minister welcomes UN support for government efforts to stabilise Juba regions
- Farewell to Matt Baugh, UK Ambassador to Somalia
- President Hassan hosts EU Political & Security Committee Ambassadors in Mogadishu
- President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud continues to urge peace and calm in Kismayo
- President Hassan hails accession to the Cotonou Agreement as an opportunity for the recovery of Somalia
- Prime Minister wellcomes Saudi Arabia and OIC on launch of landmark relief programme
- Somali Federal Government clarifies its position on territorial waters
- Rebiulding Somalia: Japan Announces $55 Million Direct Aid For Somalia
- Statement of Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of Somalia 22nd Extra-Ordinary Summit of Heads of State of IGAD 24 May 2013
- Somalia celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the OAU in Mogadishu
- Prime Minister welcomes progress in parliament and outlines road ahead on Jubaland and Somaliland
- Somaliland Minister Rejects Control of Airspace By Somalia Govt
- Somali Government gives green light to the New Deal process launched in Mogadishu today
- Al_Ameriki's Battle: Al-Shabaab Fighters Loyal to Godane Reportedly Kill Al-Amriki
- Rebuilding Somalia: Giving Extremists a Second Chance
- Defense Minister: Nation Can't Afford Weapons
- Rebuilding Somalia: David Cameron Pledges Support Somalia (Video)
- The London Meeting: OPENING ADDRESS BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA
- Rebuilding Somalia: Somali Government adopts new public finance management policy
- IN Somalia: Hospitals See Fewer War Victims
- Somali Government concerned by the worsening situation of Somali refugees in Yemen
- Controversy Over Dismissal of Motion On Somalia-Somaliland Agreement
- Al Amriki Tweets About Al Shabaab Assassination Attempt
- Somali and Kenyan Presidents in bilateral meeting ahead of London Conference
Opinion - Fikrado
- Iskumilanka Madaxtooyada iyo Baarlamaanka waa Lug iyo Luqun Isi Suran
- Faallo: Nina Hooskiisa Ma Harsado
- Faalo: Wajigabaxii Labaad Ee Dawladu Kala Kulantay Kismaayo Raaskaamboodiyeenteeda! (2)
- Somaliyeey, furrsad weyn ayaa jirto maanta by Ahmed-haadi Muhumad
- Madaxweyne Sh Shariif ma la tabay mise anaa mooday by Farah Warsame
- Hantidii Ummada Laheed Goormaa loo Celin? by Faysal Ahmed
- Somaliarising after two decades of civil war and unrest by Muddassar Ahmed
- What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
- Adeegsiga Af Qalaad Qiil ma loo Hayaa? by M Aden
- Ninba Dahab Lumay Si u Doondoon-by Kaafi Farey