Turkish Airlines Begins Flights to Somalia
Turkish Airlines has started flights to Somalia's capital, making it the first commercial carrier outside East Africa to fly there in more than two decades.
Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bosdag took the maiden flight from Turkey's Ataturk airport into Mogadishu on Tuesday.
After arriving in the conflict-ridden capital, Bosdag said Turkish Airlines has provided a way for Somalis to travel to the outside world again.
“Somalia will restore its lost international air lane again with the help of the Turkish government.''
Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed expressed gratitude to Turkey.
“We thank our Turkish brothers for the assistance and we receive it with an open heart.”
Turkish Airlines is scheduled to fly to Mogadishu twice a week.
In August, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan became the first non-African leader to visit Somalia in 20 years.
During that trip, Mr. Erdogan vowed to help Somalia lift itself from decades of chaos and conflict.
He promised to reopen Turkey's embassy in Mogadishu, help Somalia develop its infrastructure and promote business and educational opportunities.
Somalia has not had a stable central government since 1991. The U.N.-backed transitional government is currently fighting militant group al-Shabab, which controls parts of southern and central Somalia.
The country is also recovering from a severe drought and famine that displaced hundreds of thousands of Somalis.
(( Video includes soundbite from Somali President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed in Somali (translation below):
Ahmed Act: “We really thank the Turkish government, which has helped our people during a time of suffering and today they have begun new international flights into Mogadishu and the rest of the world.''
News in English
- Countries continue to restore diplomatic relations with Somalia
- The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia H.E Hassan .Sh. Mohamud Thanks the outgoing Prime Minister and praises the Parliament for upholding the constitution
- Cabinet endorses plans to reopen Somali National University
- Prime Minister opens first National Health Conference encouraging Somali health professionals to “help transform Somalia’s health service”
- AU Special Representative welcomes the successful conclusion of the Jubba Regions Reconciliation Conference
- PM appeals for urgent assistance for those affected by devastating floods in Middle Shabelle region
- Prime Minister calls on Jubba to be “the symbol of federal success in Somalia”
- Uganda Arrests Somalia Peacekeepers Over Theft
- Pentagon Says Shabab Bomb Specialist Is Killed in Missile Strike in Somalia
- Somalia's New Deal establishes Strategic Oversight and Guidance Joint Committee
- Prime Minister launches Somalia Development and Reconstruction Facility- “the first step towards the realization of the New Deal dream for the people of Somalia”
- President welcomes Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Minister and leading Dutch businesses
- AMISOM ends a three-day Civil- Military Coordination conference
- Compact partnership endorsed for the Brussels Conference on Somalia
- President calls on international partners to support the New Deal Compact
- Somali Government concern on remittance closing and pirate situation
- The African Union concludes a two-week long workshop on International Humanitarian Law for the Somalia National Army
- Prime Minister declared August 27 as the National Day of Human Rights
- Somali Government welcomes the report of the Human Rights Task Force
- AMISOM opens training on improving understanding and compliance with International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and Human Rights (HR) for the Somali National Army Officers.
- Two-day consultative meeting on New Deal kicks off in Galkayo
- Come Let Us Rob And Rape Together (The Strategy)
- Somalia’s government executes Islamic extremist rebel convicted of killing a journalist (WP)
- Amison Pressrelease: AMISOM will work closely with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) to investigate allegation of rape against its soldiers in Maslah
- Somali Federal Government response to MSF Ceasing Operations in Somalia
Opinion - Fikrado
- Iskumilanka Madaxtooyada iyo Baarlamaanka waa Lug iyo Luqun Isi Suran
- Faallo: Nina Hooskiisa Ma Harsado
- Faalo: Wajigabaxii Labaad Ee Dawladu Kala Kulantay Kismaayo Raaskaamboodiyeenteeda! (2)
- Somaliyeey, furrsad weyn ayaa jirto maanta by Ahmed-haadi Muhumad
- Madaxweyne Sh Shariif ma la tabay mise anaa mooday by Farah Warsame
- Hantidii Ummada Laheed Goormaa loo Celin? by Faysal Ahmed
- Somaliarising after two decades of civil war and unrest by Muddassar Ahmed
- What’s the Future forSomalia after August 20 by Axmed Farax
- Adeegsiga Af Qalaad Qiil ma loo Hayaa? by M Aden
- Ninba Dahab Lumay Si u Doondoon-by Kaafi Farey